Identify evidence-based information for use in childbirth education courses.
A. What is Evidenced-Based Care?
B. How does the childbirth educator determine “best evidence”?
C. Using resources with best evidence:
2. Giving Birth with Confidence
3. Science and Sensibility
4. Cochrane Library
6. Lamaze Learning Guide
Describe how the evidence-based Lamaze Healthy Birth Practices promote natural, safe and healthy birth.
A. Lamaze Six Healthy Birth Practices
1. Let labor begin on its own
2. Walk, move around, and change positions throughout labor
3. Bring a loved one, friend, or doula for continuous support.
4. Avoid interventions that are not medically necessary.
5. Avoid giving birth on your back and follow your body’s urges to push.
6. Keep baby and mother together- it’s best for the mother, baby, and breastfeeding.
Illustrate effective teaching strategies for adult learners
A. Teaching to Adult Learners
B. Tips on Teaching Childbirth Education Classes
C. Myths vs. Reality of Lamaze Childbirth Education Classes
Design teaching activities that incorporate the Lamaze Healthy Birth Practices
A. The Six Healthy Birth Practices:
1. Present birth as a normal, healthy life event rather than a risky medical event.
2. Provide an evidence-based non-medical model of birth
3. Increase women’s confidence in their body’s natural ability to birth
4. Help women to achieve the safest and healthiest birth possible
B. Suggestions for using the Six Healthy Birth Practices in a childbirth class:
1. Post the Healthy Birth Practices and discuss throughout your curriculum
2. Show the Healthy Birth Practice video clips
3. Use the Lamaze “Infographics”